Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Protein Smoothie for Fat Loss

In an earlier post I mentioned that I am currently on a cutting diet. That remains the case and I am now at the 60 day mark. How's it going?

Waist size is down 2 inches and my muscle definition is beginning to really become apparent, especially in the ab region. Which has historicly for me been the last place fat leaves, so I know when cuts start appearing there, I am getting to where I want to be. Not that it matters a bit, but my total body weight is also down about 14 lbs. But what matters to me is that 2 inch waist reduction. Smaller waist = bigger looking upper body.

To recap, my target numbers are 1300 calories and 150 grams of protein daily. I also look to front load my calorie intake, trying to take in about 800 by 4:00 pm.

So here is MY breakfast, EVERYDAY:

4 egg whites, tspn Tabasco sauce, scrambled, no calorie butter flavored Pam
4 strips turkey bacon, microwaved
4 Fresh whole strawberries

Total calories: 280 Total grams protein: 32 Or, 45.7% of the total calories are protein based.

So by 9:00 am I have consumed a total of 330 calories (50 more in the 3-4 cups coffee I drink) and have 32 grams of my protein target 140-150. And I am full and properly nourished.

My next calorie consumption is determined by whether I work out in the morning or afternoon. If it's an afternoon workout, lunch is my next meal. If it's morning, I have a post workout protein smoothie and then eat lunch later in the day. So the workout determines the order and time of my lunch/protein shake calories. So for the purpose of this post let's go with a 8:30 9:30 workout, which would put me in a position to have my shake by 10:30 am. Given breakfast happened around 7:00ish the timing for more calories is perfect.

Here's my killer protein smoothie recipe:

1 17 oz Labrada Lean Body Banana & Cream 40 g protein 260 calories
8 large ice cubes
4 fresh strawberries 0 g protein 20 calories

I have found that I MUCH prefer the ready to drink (RTD) protein drinks over powder because of the vastly better taste and mixability. The downside is the higher cost. But it's worth it to me. I choose the Labrada product because I'm cutting and each serving has 0 gram sugar, and only 9 gram carbs and 9 grams fat. If I were in a muscle building phase, I would be less concerned with these numbers and might choose something else.

Now this is KEY! Because I am cutting and total calories matter, a lot, I only DRINK HALF my shake at this time. Why? I know I am going to take in more calories and protein in just a couple hours for lunch. So the whole shake is too much at this time.

So here's where I am at: 11:00 am, my workout is done, (and I could have done that at 7:00 am instead of 9:00, had the shake pre-workout and then breakfast after if I need to be to work by 9:00. Lunch would then be 11:30ish) and I have consumed this:

52 grams protein
470 total calories

Since I drank my shake at 11:00 am I will hold off on lunch until 1:00, which is fine because I am full right now, and still have 830 calories to eat for the rest of the day.

2 comments: