Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Back to Basics: How to Build Muscle Mass

As I've already said, I am on a mission to get lean. In so doing I have reduced my daily calorie intake to about half of what it would be under normal circumstances. In trying to lose as close to only fat as I can, the majority of that calorie reduction has come from carbs, which happen to be the fuel for our energy source. Obviously then I expected a reduction in my energy level, thus affecting my ability to push hard in the gym.

It is a very tough balancing act. This is where the road to success or failure becomes very clear.

It is widely accepted that compound exercises are the way to build muscle fast. Therefore you could also say that it would be the most efficient way to maintain the muscle you already have. So with a reduced energy level, my ability to push through longer workouts, the type that a lot of isolation moves generally requires, just is not there, at least every day. So my choices become pretty clear. I can increase my carb intake, which will slow my fat loss or become more efficient in my workouts.

My choice? I am going with my Phase 1 weight lifting routine for the forseeable future.

As much as I enjoy isolating biceps, triceps and blasting out sets of cable flies, at the end of my energy level, I just haven't done enough to maintain the mass I currently have.

You can get my FREE weight lifting routines for the beginner, intermediate and advanced lifter at my home site.

So the lesson here is that, as I already knew, compound exercises are still and will forever be, the best path to the most muscle, even for someone that can justify isolating smaller muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment